Upper/Lower Shellburg and Stasel Falls
Photographer: G. Price
Return to Salem region
Upper / Lower Shellburg Falls
Upper/Lower Shellburg and Stasel Falls are southeast of Salem.
- On I-5 exit onto Hwy 22 and head east towards Stayton
- Appr. 20.6 miles turn north onto Fern Ridge Road in Mehama (near flashing yellow light)
- After 1.2 miles you will find the following sharp right turn below
- No more than three or four cars can park on the right in front of the sign
- Proceed up the path past the yellow guard rail
- In the 1.5 mile path to the falls there will be private property signs.
Stay on the path (old logging road) to respect property rights.
- There will be several cattle guards you will have to traverse. When you
encounter Bossy, say 'moo'. "Steer" clear of the ones with horns.
- First falls you will encounter is Lower Shellburg Falls. It is flowing
under a bridge. A good view of the falls is a few feet past the bridge.
- Upper Shellburg Falls is up a path away from the lower falls. Distance
is about 0.1 mile. The falls has a gouged out area underneath with a path and bench.
- Stasel Falls is just past Lower Shellburg. Continue on the original path
past a second yellow guard rail. Appr. 0.1 miles Shellburg Road veers to
the left. Near the bend there will some large boulders. They mark the
path to Stassel. Continue on that second path and note a large tree suspended
horizontally above the path a short distance away. One hundred feet from
the suspended tree look for a worn path and the sound of rushing water to
the right. That worn path leads down to Stasel.