Umbrella & Sahale Falls
on East Fork Hood River
Photographer: G. Price
back to waterfalls - Mt Hood
Umbrella Falls photograph specifics: speed 1/13, ISO100, lens 18mm, aperture 11, polarizer
Umbrella and Sahale Falls are on the eastern flank of Mt. Hood.
Umbrella Falls GPS N45º 19.719', W121º 39.633', Elevation above sea level 5200 ft.
Sahale Falls GPS N45º 19.118', W121º 38.427', Elevation above sea level 4600 ft.
Note: not to be confused with Sahalie Falls on HWY 126
The road to the falls ends at a blocked bridge (for cars). Falls visible from bridge.
- From Interstate 205 take exit 12 and head east on HWY 212.
- HWY 212 will eventually meet up with HWY 26. Head east on 26.*
- Past Government Camp exit HWY 26 and head north on HWY 35.
- Near milepost 65 look for a "Sahale Falls Loop" sign.
- Turn left onto the road opposite the sign (note odometer reading).
- Follow the road left past the locked heavy equipment area and turn left
at the "Sahale Falls" sign a short distance away.
- From the first odometer reading find the 0.5 mile mark.
There will be a wide spot on the other side of the road to park.
Walk across the road and find the trail nearby.
On the trail - Indian paintbrush and lupine
- Go up the trail for a little over a mile until you encounter a sign
with its text facing away from you. This is the sign for the trail you're on.
- Bear left at this sign and head up the trail for about half mile.
- Umbrella Falls is the first one to be reached.
- To find Sahale Falls head back down the trail and turn right at the sign
to go back to the access road.
- Sahale Falls is 0.6 miles up the road either by hiking or driving.
Or you could drive up to Sahale Falls then go back to the trail for Umbrella.
Switchback Falls is in the same general area. It is 5.6 miles up HWY 35 from the junction with HWY 26
(2¼ miles west of the junction for Sahale Falls). There is a wide spot on the eastern side of a curve in the road
where you could park. The waterfall is on the other side of the road.
Its location is GPS N45º 18.848', W121º 39.628', Elevation above sea level 4400 ft.
There is no clear view of all of the falls due to all of the foliage. Therefore, I have no picture.
If you wondered where it was, now you know.
*The temptation would be to go to Exit 19 to get directly onto HWY 26 East (Division Ave.).
This would put you through a lot of lights. Then you would have to turn right
on Burnside to continue on HWY 26. Don't be a glutton for punishment.