Upper/Lower Kentucky Falls
plus North Fork Falls on N. Fork Smith River
Photographer: G. Price
Return to Florence
Kentucky Falls is between Mapleton and Walton.
GPS - N. Fork Falls, 245m el.
Upper Kentucky Falls & North Fork Falls w/rainbow
Here's a visual treat - North Fork Falls & Lower Kentucky Falls are twins!
Across the road from the rest area is the trail leading to the falls.
- Access to falls is via Hwy 126 west of Eugene
- Six miles west of Walton turn south onto Siuslaw River road.
(aka Whittaker Creek recreation area - nearby sign on HWY 126 says "Austa")
- 350 feet down a right sweeping curve turn left at the
T-intersection (sign to Whittaker Creek and Clay Creek Rec. areas)
- At a distance of 1.6 miles turn right at sign for Kentucky Falls and Whittaker Crk Rec Area
- Another 1.6 miles (total 3.2) there will be a left turn onto Dunn Ridge Road
aka BLM 28.1 with a sign for Kentucky Falls (at least there was a sign before an
idiot with a shotgun blew most of the sign away)
- Ten miles further on this winding section will be a T-intersection.
Turn right to get on Forest Road 23
- Another 2.8 miles is Kentucky Falls recreation area. Picnic table
and rest facilities are available.
Upper Kentucky Falls is at 3/4 mile from the trail start. Lower
Kentucky Falls - and its twin - North Fork Falls are at the 2 mile mark.